5 Reasons Why You Should Hire a Corporate Event Planner
To work with a corporate planner or do it yourself – that is the question. Certainly many will consider the DIY approach, but the benefits of hiring a professional far outweigh the savings. Some of these reasons are pretty obvious. For example, adding additional short-term muscle that is experienced in the intricacies of event production. However, there are some others that might not be quite as obvious.
Time is Money (cue the Pink Floyd music)
One significant reason to hire a corporate event planner revolves around time. Our corporate clients already find themselves stretched thin with their existing responsibilities. Taking on the role of an event producer would burden the staff further, adding a considerable amount of time and effort to their already busy schedules. When you hire a corporate planner who specializes in this field day in and day out, you essentially gain extra hands, feet, and minds to execute the work. The best part? You receive the credit for the successful event managed by the hired help.
Events LOOK easy – there’s a lot more complexity to a well-run event than people realize. It’s much more about logistics and worst-case scenario planning than it is the look & feel of it. Don’t get me wrong, look & feel is incredibly important, but what is most important is having a solid plan for hiccups that might happen. Like what? Make sure you have a variety of cords & plugs if you’re planning to plug a laptop into a projector to present at an event. Like having extra microphones in case they don’t work.
In addition to worst-case scenario planning, as much as some might assume it’s going to cost more, your event production team can also play a key role in making sure you’re not charged for unnecessary items – and you’re not overcharged for certain things. For one of our corporate conference clients, we were able to save them money by bringing in carpet, padding & a vacuum; which was going to cost them an astronomical amount if sourced through the convention center.
As veterans of the event planning and design industry, we come with a veritable Rolodex of reliable contacts we can lean on and pull in when necessary. Quick turnarounds, tight budgets – we have sources that we know to contact even when the request is a genuine challenge. Like, when the roaming poet our client had hired – whom I had confirmed with earlier in the morning – didn’t show up and when I called him 15 minutes before the event start time to check on his absence, he confessed he was double booked (why he hadn’t mentioned that in the morning when we spoke is beyond me). I was able to call a friend who put me in touch with an alternative poet who arrived 30 minutes after the party started, and the client was none the wiser.
Next Level Concepts
As event planners, it is our job to keep a keen eye on the latest trends as well as clever concepts that we can incorporate into our client events. We are always on the lookout for things that catch our eye; we like to call them ’shiny objects’. One example of this is the custom cowboy hat installation that we incorporated into the IndyCar Meets Music City event last year. It was such a huge hit with the guests and very apropos to the venue, the location, and the vibe.
Sure, you can look online to find the next hot trend or Pinterest your way to a great theme. But you will always be working with something that has already been done. We want to create a bespoke experience that will leave your guests talking. We want the event to feel truly special. This can only be accomplished by developing the perfect, unique, experience for your event. Our expertise allows us to craft these memories in a way that feels special.
A Little Kudos Goes a Long Way
In addition to the extra contract hours, a great corporate planner comes with years of expertise that you can rely on to not just create and execute your event but to really wow you – your guests – and best of all, your senior leadership. A well-run event can help the team responsible for the event gain exposure to the broader organization. As I write this, I think back to each of the corporate events we have produced – in every case our lead contact within the organization received significant kudos for the event experience. As a matter of fact, at least one person received a promotion shortly after our event collaboration.
Top 5 Reasons to Hire a Corporate Event Planner
- Time-Saving and Efficient – Your team is already swamped with their primary responsibilities. Hiring a corporate event planner allows you to delegate the intricate tasks of event planning, saving you a lot of time. You’ll get an extra pair of hands and brains that are specialized in event management, enabling you to focus on your main job while still getting the credit for a successful event.
- Expertise in Handling Complexity – Events might look easy to organize but they are far more complex than they appear. An expert event planner brings to the table skills in logistics and risk management, ensuring that your event runs smoothly. They help you prepare for worst-case scenarios, like equipment failure, ensuring that the event goes off without a hitch.
- Cost-Efficiency – Contrary to popular belief, an event planner can actually save you money. They can advise on what is essential and what is not, so you are not overcharged or billed for unnecessary items. The planner’s network and negotiation skills can also land you some good deals that you wouldn’t get otherwise.
- Network and Quick Problem-Solving – Event planners have a wide network of vendors, artists, and other service providers. This network comes in handy especially when there are last-minute hitches or opportunities for upgrades. They can quickly find replacements or additions that could make your event even better, thanks to their industry connections.
- Unique and Memorable Experiences – Professional event planners are always in the loop about the latest trends in the event industry. They bring innovative ideas to the table. Ensuring that your event stands out and offers a unique experience to the attendees. This goes a long way in making the event memorable and can also garner positive attention and accolades within your organization.